Monday, March 26, 2012

Fresh air and sunshine........

Its a beautiful day outside around here, no rain, blue skies with lots of clouds and the sun peeking in and out. Its warm enough to need a sweater but not so cold you need anything else. I do believe spring is finally here. And so I felt inspired to finally go thru the woods here near my house. I tried but there's not a clear path and its pretty hilly. I was afraid Id fall. My bf  isn't home at the moment so if I did nobody would know where I am if I got hurt. I forgot my gloves too. I might have tried if I had them so at least Id could grab onto something for balance. But since there's tons of blackberry bushes out there, it wasn't a wise thing to do without protection. Its ok tho. It really is too early for me to find anything in the woods. No mushrooms, greens or anything sprouting up much at all. And so I decided to wait till its warmer.

In the meantime I saw a lady online make nests from found materials and I thought Id like to make one for my dining room table. This will be a work in progress. For now its a natural wreath to hold my candle. But as you can see from the pic up above, I did find some things to put in it.


 This is what I decided to do with it for now, make a natural centerpiece for spring for my table. Its not done yet either. I haven't brought out my Easter decor yet. Id like to put some eggs in that nest too. But for now this is made from branches and grasses and dried ferns and such I found around the property. I wrapped twine around them to hold the shape.You can see some of it but since its a natural material too, I figured the birds might use some if they found it to make a nest. But I did find some awesome moss growing on branches and lichen too. I also added some alder pods and a pine cone. Then I checked to see what was going on , on my back deck and decided to use some Dusty Miller bits. They will dry that color too. 
 I bought this bird nest on a stand long time ago. I use it for all sorts of things. This time I added a dried hydrangea from my yard to fill the nest. I'm thinking of tucking some tiny eggs in it next.
 I found a piece of ribbon in my stash that is light and airy and looks the color of the lichen so I decided to add it for now. I found a dried rose too and added that. That lichen you see below it is so beautiful. Ive been collecting whatever the wind blows off the trees around here to dry. I'm going to make a wreath from it with seashells and pearls and such for my front door. It just reminds me of the sea. I did some research on it tho and found out it only grows where the air and water are clean. Now that made me smile. But this nest isn't finished. I want to make it a real nest to put eggs in eventually. I want to find more natural things to add to it. But the one I saw that inspired this had all sorts of beautiful ribbons and fuzzy yarns and shiny bits and things added to it too. I still have to dig thru my stash to see what I can add but I want to do that to it too. When the other woman who made it was done, it looked like something from a fairy tale. But I like knowing it all started with beautiful things that grow right here on my property.

No comments:

Post a Comment