Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Last week was rough........

You all know we had a wild week here last week, rain, hail, lots of snow, lots of wind , thunder and lightning. The stupid weather people were saying we were going to get about 1.5in. on the coast when I already had about 5in. on my back porch! The next day they were saying we got record snow of 5-6 in. Duh, ya think? I told my bf I think I need to be the weather person cuz the ones they hired are always soooooo off. But that pic up there was the next morning after the snow storm. It was more but got beat down by rain and hail overnight. But even so, look at the measurement, 4in the very next morning of what was left. 
 This is the pine tree you often see in pics in my backyard. The snow was so wet and heavy, this tree was almost bent over. It was like that all over. We heard tree limbs snapping and falling in the woods. There was even one right next to my bf's car in the driveway. Thank God it didn't hit his car.
This is what was left of the lil snowman I made the day before. The rain wore him down and he looked like a freak the next day.  
 As you can see we needed boots to get around here. It got pretty deep for the coast. Yes I know in some areas of the country this is nothing. I grew up in NJ and this would be called a dusting lol. But here for the Oregon coast, this is alot because we rarely even get snow. My dog would not go out there. She would go as far as the top step and not go further. Guess I have a wussy CA. dog. lol
 My frozen garden. There were herbs growing in that middle bed and artichokes on the left but everything was buried even deeper in the beds.
And this shot was really hard to get cuz the mountain and the sky were almost the same color. But I don't recall ever seeing it snow-capped. I had to PS it a bit to bring out the colors so you could see it. This is what it looked like to me, it just didn't show in the shot till I did that. That's on the far side of the lake down the street from me, not very far at all. I was stunned to see it.  
 Yesterday I went to get eggs from the egg lady S. She told me the day of the storm that a tree had fallen across her road before the snow hit. She called a friend to help her cut it and remove it. She has an elderly mom she cares for so she needed to get that done in case something happened. Yesterday I went the back road around the lake and saw how much damage was really done due to this storm. I saw trees and branches down all over everywhere. I haven't really been out much since the storm except to the grocery store down the street. I was shocked to see all this everywhere. It was really bad out there. Now I understand why we had power failures all over. In fact going to her house there was couple trucks in front me going to do more work . 
This was the tree that fell by the egg lady's house. It was at least a foot wide. Looks like they just cut the part off that was in the road cuz I saw big chunks of it closer to her house. Everywhere I went on the back roads I saw stuff like this. There were still trees falling over that were just hanging over the streets. They would get caught in other trees or just stopped and hung there. Don't know if the city will be working on them or not but I hope so cuz some looked dangerous.
This was coming back from her house. As you can see in many areas it very wooded, with very tall trees of every kind. 
As I came around the bend to her house (this is on the way home, I took this shot), I almost ran into this tree. A HUGE branch was laying across the road, still attached to the tree but bent to the ground. It doesn't look it here but it covers half the road. This is the scene I saw everywhere. On one side street I take to go home some lost a massive tree in their backyard. I couldn't see it all but the trunk end was cut and laying in the open driveway. There are a couple houses right there. I couldn't see if it hit any but I bet it did. This tree was so huge it would take 3 people to hug that trunk. I was stunned.

This storm was bad but it was much worse than even I knew. I am very blessed to be where I am . I think the hill blocks alot of the wind from my house Those trees have stood for a long time.....longer than I have been around. And so I go out there and thank them for protecting us. I said to my bf the other day...we are in a weird spot. I am protected from tsunamis by being on a very high hill and yet because of that hill, when it snows even a bit, we are stuck here. My bf tried to get out of the driveway when it was snow covered to go call work at a pay phone  to let them know we had no power etc. But he had a really hard time getting out of the driveway.

We don't own chains or snow tires. Truly there's no need for that here. But our driveway slopes down towards the house so he has to back up, up hill. He was slipping and sliding all over and almost didn't get out. And then there's the hill..........while town may be melted and passable, we most times are not. It stays colder here and icy so we cant get down the hill. Its been a weird week for sure...........and today is Spring. Its cold and going to be raining all week. Wheres my SPRING? 
  

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow.... I hope you get a springtime soon.
    The weather is upside down lately.
    Keep safe. Hopefully they will clean up those trees. nothing worse than downed trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow is unpredictable! And you've gotten more than Buffalo, NY this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!

    my homepage read more here

    ReplyDelete