Sunday, January 1, 2012

First blog of the new year-chicken sh*t and all that jazz

Yesterday I spent most of the day at the egg lady's house. Her other half D was making orange marmalade. Now Ive never made that before and wanted to learn how, especially since he said his is not bitter. Ive always avoided orange marmalade because of that bitterness. While I understand that is classic orange marmalade, its not to my tastes.

And so I helped zest the oranges and cut them up. Then he cooked them down and did one recipe so I could see how he does it. It does get less bitter as he cooks it but I see some tweaks Ill be making now when I do my own batch this week. Oranges were 2lbs for $1 and it is winter, the best time to buy citrus so I picked some up the other day in anticipation of this. I however will use less pith in my version. I know alot of it cooks down but I didn't like the taste of it on the zest. So Ill remove as much as I can there and leave some on the fruit itself. That seems to melt away with cooking.

But it was a nice afternoon sitting and talking with him about our lives. My friend S was in and out doing chores with the chickens and at the end of the day when I was going home she gifted me with something special. A big sack of fresh chicken shit for my garden lol. Now we have talked about it before but I always wondered how would I get it here since I don't have a truck. But she bagged it up in a big feed sack and used the small digger to lift it and bring it to my car trunk. Then she moved it in there. I thought for sure it would stink but it didn't, thank God. I was wondering how I would be able to stand the drive home lol.

And so when I got here I tried to get the sack out of my car and couldn't lift the damn thing. Now I know why she used the digger and drove it over to my car. I had to get my bf  to get it out and you should see the look he gave me when I told him I needed his help lol. And it was heavy for him too but he slung it over his shoulder and brought it to my garden. (Now thats love!) Now I just have to get brave enough on a nice day here to work it into my veggie beds. It has to cure in the dirt over the winter so it wont burn the plants come spring. Should be real interesting since the only time I ever did that was in NJ. With a shovel in the ground. This Ill have to dig out of the bag and bring over to each bed......yuck . lol But something has to be done about this lousy soil and I have a free source of fertilizer hehehe.

I only had yogurt and fruit in the morning tho before I went to their house and by the time I left I was starving. Not a good thing . I had some of the leftover ham salad in a sammich when I got home but I think I waited too long to eat. Later on we got a pizza since my bf ate late too and nobody was really hungry......so why cook? That on top of the sammich I don't think worked well and I didn't feel good by the time the New Year came in. And so we tried to stay awake till then, gave each other smooches and went off to bed. Damn when did we get so old? Honestly Id rather be at a party but........and even my bf  said he wished he had a gig that nite. So for next yr. I am wishing he gets one so we can really celebrate. I hate this old people stuff lol

And so last nite I pulled out a prime rib roast. I bought it long ago and I'm not sure its good anymore. I'm going to check it soon and if its still ok ......we will ring in the new yr in style. If not, I have a pork roast in the fridge that I can roast instead. But Ill be making my garlic roasted taters and use up the broccoli in my veggie bin too. I'm thinking of making a pie but not sure what kind yet. I don't have any whipped cream here and I don't want to go to the store, but I was thinking a pumpkin pie since we didn't get much of that this past yr.

Later on this week tho Ill be making my orange marmalade. And if I don't screw it up Ill be posting that here. I wished my friends Happy New Yr and hugged them tho when I was there yesterday. Told them I love them and truly I do, they are such nice people. Gave her mom a hug too and teased her about eating all the Snickerdoodles I made for her. She just loved them.  And so I rang out the old year with friends, rang in the new yr with my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment