Saturday, September 8, 2012

Berry picking on my friends farm...

Nice big fat berries everywhere on my friends farm. I picked last week and got about 8lbs. Since they are growing everywhere there and tons of them, I went back yesterday and will probably go once a week till they are gone.

 My friends dog loves eating blackberries so he follows us around. She told me not to put my basket down cuz he would help himself when I wasn't looking lol.

 Hes begging her now for some berries.....I gave him a few on and off thru the day. After all he protects us there on the farm. When we went mushrooming last yr. he came with us in the woods because he knew there was a coyote around. My friend says he never goes with her usually so she knew something was wrong.

 This is behind her barn. There's a huge length of blackberry bushes. We both picked alot but she gave me hers. She said she had some from last yr. Since I do canning I told her, Ill make some jam for her. Shes more of a hunter/fisher-woman while I'm more of the growing it myself and canning type. Its a good match.

 Some of her horses.........seems they like the blackberries too cuz I had to watch where I stepped when we picked behind the barn lol.

 Its so beautiful here, I just love coming to her farm. I remembered to bring my camera this time. Every time she and I do stuff, there's always something that we see that I say....darn I wish I brought my camera! She said why don't you just plan on having it whenever we do stuff lol .

 That's her house down there, we were up at the barn, in the pasture. Some days I can see elk out in the fields here. She often goes hunting herself. Got a deer last yr and the head is on her wall. She amazes me. She may make a mountain woman out of me yet.

 This was my haul this week. When I got home to wash them and get them ready to freeze, I measure them and put them in marked plastic bags so I know how much I have. This week I got 10lbs! I promised my friend some jam, but I also promised my bfs folks, and my kids and grand kids since they love it too. (BTW I bring long tongs with me when I go picking. They help me move the canes or pull down tall canes without getting all ripped up by the thorns.)

1 comment:

  1. Great info. Lucky me I ran across your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I've bookmarked it for later!

    Also visit my website this is awesome

    ReplyDelete