Monday, May 28, 2012

I needed to get the dust blown off me.....

It was a beautiful day Friday. The man was at work and I was home alone looking for trouble. lol Haven t been able to do much at all with this bad foot. But I know I'm healing cuz I'm antsy and looking to do things. I'm trying hard not to do too much, cuz I do pay for it later. The foot wants rest and so when I push it gets sore and swollen. Thankfully that's happening less and less. The constant pain has eased and I even have times when I notice I have no pain. So I'm on the mend......slow as it is.

But Friday I just wanted to be outside. It hasn't been enough for me to sit on my porch. Lately some bees seem to have found a way to get into the porch and I'm allergic to bee stings.......so when they are there, I'm not. This is the first yr. this has happened and I normally spray if I see bugs. But I don't want to kill the bees so Ill have to figure something else out unless they are actually making a nest.

I decided to see if I could find something I could put on that foot to go outside with. I didn't want to put a slipper on it. We have had rain so it could be muddy in spots and ......that's where my dog roams too. I have a pair of birkies that look like the old Dr. Scholls sandals. I tried them on and I could just barely get that one on that foot. But it has a working buckle ( covered in rhinestones of course, gotta be girly), so I opened it as far as it could go. Slipped my foot in and tadaaaaaaaa I could go outside!

It actually felt good to have shoes on since Ive been barefoot since this happened, except for one slipper, lol , in the house. Now I normally am a barefoot kinda girl but being forced to NOT wear shoes was driving me nuts. So I wandered outside for the first time in weeks and slowly went down my porch steps. I had to take it one step at a time. The angle you walk, I couldn't do or it hurt my foot alot. I forgot on one of the steps, I was so anxious and OUCH! 

Since I didn't know if I would make it or how long I would be down there, I wanted a bit of a project. I saw out my windows that my chives were blooming idiots. More flowers this yr than ever before. So I took a big jar with me to fill with the flowers. I wanted to make Chive vinegar.  It was so nice to be out in my garden. ...altho its not much of one right now. Nothing much growing out there except weeds. But I plucked each flower off and tossed it in the jar. Once I had most of them, I came back inside. My foot was beginning to hurt a bit. I didn't want to push. So I took a look around the yard to assess whats going on and went inside.
My raspberries have taken over the raised bed I put them in. Amazing since I bought that little plant, that was half dead on clearance two yrs ago. I may actually get lots of berries this yr. Once they start to grow Ill have to put the bird netting over it all tho. Last yr. they started to eat some so I didn't get much. My rhubarb came back too altho pretty thin and weenie looking. Looks like it needs fertilizer and water. The artichokes look the same, I don't even know if they are growing. This soil still needs so much work. But my strawberries were almost dead, the slugs had a party in that bed. And now they are full of green leaves and flowers. I need to sprinkle some slug bait there soon so they don't get to them again. My hydrangeas are coming back too but there's so many weeds and such in the beds, Ill have alot to do before I can plant anything.


 I guess I'm feeling better too cuz I haven't even wanted to read or do any projects. The other day I found a crocheted doily that I didn't finish..........so I finished it. And then I started another with some blue thread I found. I guess Ill put these in my Etsy shop once I get it going. Ive put all that on hold because of my foot and not being able to get around.
And then finally, yesterday I realized I haven't even started my car in a month and half. I got worried. I slipped on the sandals again and headed outside. My bf said .....I can do that for you. But I really just needed to get out and said no.......but he followed me. I tried to start the car, but it coughed and sounded weird. Sigh. I thought , great now my car is dead and I have no money to fix it. So I told my bf go for it .......and Bam he got it going. He has this magic touch with stuff like the Fonz. When I cant get things to work, he just touches it and its working!

And so I decide I was going grocery shopping. He was supposed to but I knew we needed so many things and he wouldn't do that kind of shopping. So I told him give me the money and I made my list. It was big. I hoped I could get it all with what he gave me. Then I remembered I had some cash from when I worked. So I added that to it and spent over $200. But I had to. I was out of the basics, almost no meat or veggies in the house except what I canned last yr. No dog food, no lunch stuff, no bread.........so many things used up.

So I headed off to shop, not knowing just how long I could hang on. I walked slowly and even in the parking lot, when cars let me go, I didn't rush. I felt it was my turn since I always let others take their time and I patiently wait till they cross. And I took help in the store when they asked. I walked slowly and leaned on the cart. I decided to work my way around the outside of the store first since that's the stuff I needed the most. I figured if I couldn't finish, then the man could come back to get the rest. But picking veggies and meats and such was better if I did it.

But I made it all around the store and got everything. By the time I reached the checkout tho my foot was hurting. The person in front of me was having some issue and there I stood....ouch. And then I got checked out and they asked me if I wanted help.....like always and I said yes definitely this time as I'm not walking very well right now. So the guy who  helped me took his time, said he would follow me to the car. He really took the trouble to pack the car nice so nothing would get squished. I thanked him and headed home. I knew my bf would bring in all the stuff for me. He always does. That's why I wanted to go this weekend while he was home. I didn't know if I would be able to do it all.

And so my foot did swell and it was tender. I left the stuff on the counter for awhile (nothing in there that could defrost) and got a cool drink. I sat in my recliner with my foot raised awhile letting it ease the pain. Once I felt better, I started to put stuff away, going back and forth when I was able. And then I made dinner.....I had the man grill a steak, I made baked potatoes and a salad. Something simple so I didn't have to stand there cooking. Besides he shopped for the basics and I didn't have any salad stuff here for weeks. I was dying for some greens and fresh foods!

And so its a quiet Memorial Day weekend here but at least I got out a bit and it felt so good. I read that the farmers market here was running today also.........darn Id love to go..........but I spent all my money yesterday!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment